Tuesday, March 31, 2009

What a week it's been...

The day after my last post I got some rather bad news.

For awhile now I've been dealing with a lot of back pain from my scoliosis. I had surgery when I was 12 and hadn't been back to see my surgeon since then. But the last few months have been rather horrible and I have slowly progressed to not being able to even stand or walk upright for more than a few minutes and the pain has become unbearable. I finally was forced to make an appointment and my nightmare became true - I need another surgery. My spine has deteriorated to what would normally be seen in a 60 year old - all the discs are deteriated and my muscles have given up holding me upright. I'm 29. I asked why it was so bad in me and my doctor actually said I had really bad genes. So now I'm looking at another major spinal surgery in early November. It's a 12 hour surgery with weeks in the hospital and a long recuperation period after that. I remember quite clearly how much it hurt and it isn't something to look forward to at all, but considering how much pain I'm in right now, I'm actually quite grateful there is something that can be done as I can't do much of anything right now and I'm taking powerful painkillers which don't help much at all.

So now you know why I've been rather quiet lately. And also why I really enjoy surfing other blogs and enjoying the inspirational posts from everyone. I've been trying to keep my mind off of my troubles, especially since I have a LONG wait ahead of me until my surgery. I've got a great surgeon, but unfortunately that means he's in great demand so I'm on a long waiting list. I'm hoping for (and dreading a little) an opening in his schedule before my date in order to get this over with.

3 comments:

aujourd'hui: Amandine said...

oh, je suis desolée pour toi - te t'envoi un grand bonjour de france

Julie Bouésso said...

I am sorry to hear about your pain & troubles, Nicki. I hope you'll get the chance to have surgery before your scheduled appt. Otherwise, when is it? All the best! Cheers, Julie

Paula and Skip said...

Hi just found your blog and I am sorry to hear about your troubles. I keep my fingers crossed you can undergo the surgery soon. All the best for you. Paula, a visitor who didnt want to sneak out

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...