Wednesday, December 8, 2010

An Austen Christmas

I made these ornaments last year - I don't think anyone is unaware by now I love silhouettes. I saw a tree full of them in a magazine a few years ago and wanted one of my own. This is my little white tree, which I think shows them off much better than my green tree did last year.

I can't tell if I like it better lit up or not - both ways I guess. I love the soft glow of the lights, more romantic, but it still looks good in the daylight, too. Another thing I love about white trees.

Here are a few close ups of the silhouettes:



I made them on different shapes, backgrounds, colors, etc. to give them a varied feel like they've been collected. I love the different backgrounds of music and handwriting and even French text from an old French book I have. Each one of these is unique. I also stenciled them different on each side, a man on one side and a woman on the other mostly.

Some of the silhouettes are children - so cute.


And this one is my favorite - I made sure the page had the title of 'Paris' and then stenciled her in dark brown with a little stamp in the corner.

The white ribbon is so pretty! And the back has a similar page from the book, a big stamp of the Eiffel Tower and a postage stamp and mail stamp on it so it looks sort of postcard-like and I imagine an Austen lady that visited Paris one summer and sent back a silhouette to her special someone back home.
I'm putting all of these silhouettes up on Etsy (which made my mother complain as she likes them) and a few are already up now and I'll be adding them tonight and tomorrow. Hope a few of these make it to some loving homes...
Sorry I haven't been posting lately, btw. Got a bit wrapped up in Thanksgiving and then I was sick so I'm just pulling myself together again. ;)

2 comments:

Fete et Fleur said...

Your silhouette tree is truly magical. I hope you do get to decorate a bigger tree. I would love to see it.

Nancy

Heather said...

oh wow! they look so stunning gathered like that on the white tree! SO beautiful and classic, I know Jane Austen would approve :)
And you know I love a good silhouette tree! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...